Monday 4 January 2010

Why South Africa?

About a year ago I decided that it's about time I did a bit of travelling. Having never taken a gap year or travelled around the World, I thought I should take the opportunity (and the plunge) before it was too late and the restraints of responsible adulthood took hold!

Although I am eager to visit many countries, my research of South Africa revealed that this country has a vast amount to offer, from a troubled and fascinating history to a varied and wonderful culture, stunning scenery and wonderful wildlife.

As a zoology graduate with an interest in culture, politics and history, and following a lot of research and reading, South Africa struck me as a country of depth and variety...a perfect location for a single trip of limited length. It has long been my dream to volunteer in a country that needs help, both in a humanitarian and wildlife conservation capacity. As a country of great socio-political struggle and limited resources in poor areas, South Africa stands out as worthy of invested time.

My journey begins on 20th February. My next post will include my (rough) itinerary details. Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment