Tuesday 2 March 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly

Yesterday the soccer season for schools began and in the afternoon after classes I helped to coach the girls soccer players. That was really fun and some of them are really good. They don't get changed at all, they just go out and play in their school uniforms including their work shoes! The girls are really tough and they are uncompromising on the football field. I remember getting muscled off the ball by a 10year old! During the afternoon myself and Daniel also played rugby, which is of course a main sport here. I am still smiling at the thought of my 30 yard drop goal which sailed over between the posts...when in Rome!

This picture shows the girls practising before we joined them:



In the evening myself and my house mates went out to a wine bar and onto Pirates for drinks. Although it was a good night, we did experience something unpleasant. A man of about 60 approached us in the bar and asked where we came from. Half of our group are German and therefore the man presumed we were a good audience to tell his pro-Nazi joke. Had it been me, I would have said 'thanks mate' and terminated the conversation but in their youthful naivety one of the group began to argue with the man. The startling thing was that the man then not only defended the joke but also explained and elaborated upon his apparently extreme views in a heated manner. In the end the man left but this has been my only such experience so far. Unfortunately these old-school views still exist here among sections of the older whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment