Tuesday 16 March 2010

I don't want to be a teacher

That probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to most of you and I think I knew it before I left England. I have really enjoyed my time in the school and haven't been made to work particularly hard, but the behaviour and attitude of the majority of the children is so disheartening that it has totally put me off. I know that many children in UK schools are better behaved, but I have not found teaching particularly rewarding, even the fun parts. Each class has it's good ones, but they are the absolute minority and on the whole they are atrocious, both academically and behaviourally.

It is very depressing to think that I have travelled 6000 miles to help and yet the children often don't even care. They don't listen, they are lazy, they don't respect the teachers and they don't respect each other.

Despite this, I don't think the teachers do a bad job whatsoever. They work very hard, they are grossly under-resourced and they are distracted by other school matters on a regular basis.

As a result of these deficiencies, it is impossible for the children to be engaged in stimulating activities for the entire day. They are so used to waiting around for teachers that the tendency to talk, squabble and get up from their desks is ingrained into them.

My time here has definitely got teaching out of my system and I am very glad I have given it a go, but I couldn't imagine myself dedicating my time to a group of children as bad as these ones. Perhaps the teachers among you can reassure me with regards to British schools!

1 comment: