Monday 8 March 2010

Saturday sandboarding and rugby

On Saturday morning at 8am we were picked up by our tour guide Dylan for a morning of sandboarding. Now I didn't think this was a sport but apparantly you wax your board, strap your feet in and go, much like snowboarding. We were driven to a beautiful area of sand dunes near the town of Atlantis:



After a few runs we got better at it and it was so much fun. Dylan took some good pro shots too and these can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=131051117947&ref=mf

Here's a picture of me and my board:



And two cool group shots from Dylan:





Here's one of a group of us sliding down a dune:



Three days later and I am still trying to get the sand out of my shoes!

In the afternoon Callum and I went to Newlands stadium to see the local rugby team (The Stormers) play in the Super 14s against The Highlanders from New Zealand. It was a rather one-sided affair with The Stormers winning 33-0 but it was a great spectacle and a really partisan crowd (who were happy with the result)!





When we arrived home we were met by a wedding reception at the house. A son or cousin (I'm never really sure) of the Bagleys was getting married and, as we were sober, we had to hit the ground running and just start dancing! I got chatting to a friend of the family called Albert who happens to work for VodaCom (the sponsors of The Stormers) and he has a hospitality box at the stadium...so we managed to talk ourselves into the hospitality box for next Saturday's game!

No comments:

Post a Comment