Monday 8 March 2010

Table Mountain

After a quiet morning at school, myself and Callum climbed table mountain along with two girls from his human rights office (Mel and Anjuma). We got driven to the foot of the mountain walkway for the start:



Within two of the longest hours of my life we made it to the summit. I have to say that it was one of the toughest physical activities I have ever participated in. 30 degree heat, no shade and rocks of 1m in height to climb most of the way up. Along the way, the views over the city were amazing:



Along the way we also saw more dassies. Here's one for you, Annette:



Here is a shot taken by Mel of our climb. I was starting to feel a bit fed up by this point:



The views from the top are spectacular and I am so glad I managed it. Here I am at the summit:



From the summit you have views of the entire city and Table Bay to one side:



And Camps Bay to the other side:



We had some food in the overpriced restaurant at the top and then got time to take some pictures before the cable car down. Here's one of the sun setting:



Unfortunately we had to leave before the sun fully set. It was 7pm and getting dark, therefore the cable car was the only 'safe' way back down. The steep angle of the cables coupled with the 1000 foot drop made it quite daunting and I don't really like things like this. Louise wouldn't have even stepped inside! Despite being crammed against 50 others, I managed to get this picture of our rapid descent:



Overall it was an unforgettable experience and a breathtaking landscape. A definite highlight of my travels so far.

2 comments:

  1. ooh er, that dassie looks a bit scarey!!more like an ewok or something!!!lovely piccies as always!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise says: for the record I actually went on a cable car lift which was this bad!! No kidding! (I have just realised I can comment on your blog!!) I will be doing more of this!)

    ReplyDelete