Wednesday 3 March 2010

Into the cauldron

Today I spent the first session of the day with Grade 4 children in their music theory lesson. We practised the keys of a piano and the location of middle c. They also learnt some musical notes and their time values.

For the most part of the day however I was left with 8 of the Grade 4s because a teacher had to leave school early. It was much easier in a smaller group and I grew in confidence and had a good time with them. I was able to give them spelling tests and play words games with them. This class is also pretty good with English, although one child spelt cupboard as 'cuberd' so they seem to have problems recognising silent letters, taking the English language very phonetically. I had thought of a creative writing exercise for them and I had the time to do that too. I write the start of a story on the board and they had to complete it however they wished. The story started thus:

Last night i had a dream. In the dream I was walking through a field when...

They came up with some interesting and creative ideas, including ghosts, meeting friends and finally waking from the dream itself, but my favourite was the boy who decided that the page he had written contained a secret message and would self destruct in 10 seconds. Following a theatrical countdown he threw the book in the air and made the sound of an explosion.

They are still quite badly behaved though, and they seem incapable of remaining in their seats for any period of time whatsoever. Shouting doesn't really work but the threat of telling their teacher of their bad behaviour does work. I have discovered that giving them to the count of 5 to get back in their seats on the threat of reporting them really works well.

In other news, we have our tickets for the rugby on Saturday so I'm very excited about that as the Stormers have several Springboks in their side including Bryan Habana. More importantly, I have found another shop near to the school that sells biscuits. Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment