Monday 3 May 2010

Homeward bound

Friday 23rd April 2010

After a leisurely morning I showed Karen the Company's Gardens and some other sites. I was picked up by Charmaine at 1pm and driven to the Bagleys' house in Parkwood. It felt good to be back and I was reminded of how at home I felt there. I also felt safe, not anxious or in any danger as I had felt on my arrival. Les was away for the week but after a couple of barks from Zoe and Dulla I found Lecia in good spirits in the kitchen. I said hi to Lester upstairs and when I went to my old room I found Callum was in bed ill. He thought he might have picked up food poisoning from the restaurant last night...I'm glad I didn't have the lamb! I picked up some of my things that I had left behind and was then driven to the airport.

I got to the airport ridiculously early in case of problems. Flights home had been operating as normal for about 3 days now. The time gave me plenty of chance to reflect on the past two months (after answering questions for a man from S.A Tourism).

It has been quite a journey. I have experienced unforgettable things, seen wonderful sights and met fascinating people.I leave with a new knowledge and understanding of this country's culture and politics, its wonders and problems, its quirks and customs. I leave feeling like South Africa had become my home, and a part of my heart will be left behind here. It seems like a long time ago I landed here in Cape Town, so much has happened and it will be difficult to know where to start when I am asked back at home about my experiences here. I hope this blog will help to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment