Monday 3 May 2010

Wooden elephants and thieving monkeys

Saturday 17th April 2010

Oh dear, another wet and gloomy day...the last thing you need when you're sleeping in a wooden box. We walked to a local village and I purchased 2 wooden elephants which I don't really need. I now have 14 of them, along with the stone soap dish, which was traded more out of self preservation than attraction to the item.

In the afternoon we were driven to Monkeyland, a monkey sanctuary in the Tsitsikamma Reserve. This was a lot of fun and we walked over Africa'a longest suspension bridge, which has been used in many movies including Indiana Jones:





The floor of the bridge is made of small branches which bend as you walk over them, but I was informed that these are very strong.

At the end, as I was walking out of Monkeyland, a monkey above me caught my attention. I tried to photograph it before it was very close, however he and an accomplice ganged up, swung down and attempted to snatch my camera:



Staying with the theme of monkeys, on our journey back to the hostel these baboons were lazing around between the carriageway and the hard shoulder:



We stayed at the hostel again in the evening. After drinking and chatting to a New Yorker called Rob, I got talked into returning to Bloukrans Bridge in the morning to provide moral support for more jumpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment